Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Confessions of a Beardo

The Four Beardos blog was created not only as a way to keep the public informed on our progress during our growth period, but also as a safe zone to communicate our impressions and issues along the way. It acts almost as a method of providing a little sanity in these months of bearding. I applaud my comrade, Doug Murphy, who is solo-bearding all on his lonesome in D.C. At least here, I have Tim and P.J. for some support. Doug suffers alone, like a true mountain man. I'd be happy to see that Doug wins the beard-off, but in the spirit of competition: that asshole is going down. So with all that in mind, I need to be as honest as possible; an honest Abe if you will (he had a beard) and share some thoughts.

We have recently added our week 2 updates to the blog and I am certainly disappointed in my performance. I still just look like an unemployed jerk. In fact yesterday, two separate people on two separate occasions said I look homeless. Believe me I was thrilled! But that's not the kind of beard I'm going for. But that's the other part of the problem. What beard do I want?! How do I know what's right for me?

I'm currently digging on the Robert Redford beard circa 1970 from the film Jeremiah Johnson.














Sharp, right? Yea, but who knows what I'll want tomorrow. The commitment is too much. I see a ZZ Top-looking dude on a motorcycle and I want to look like that! Obviously, 3 months wouldn't be enough time (to reach that length or go gray) and how do I know I'll be able to part ways once I reach the 3 months? I might have this beard forever. It's apart of me now. I groom it. Proudly.

I'm not there yet though. This is just premature anxiety. I still walk down the street passing bearded men looking for the head nod of solidarity only to be disheartened. The time will arrive. I just have so many questions for them in the meantime. I'm ready to relate on a level I've never been able to with another human. For example, having an honest-to-god real milk mustache. That's serious fellowship of man kinda stuff.

No comments: