Saturday, November 7, 2009

An Everyday (Beard) Hero

Thankfully during this beard-off competition there hasn't been any lack of inspiration: inspiration from everyday men growing beards for one reason or another. I might pass one on the street or see one at the grocery store (they're all over Whole Foods). But what's really rare to find is a beard hero. A man with a beard so extraordinary it eclipses the 4 beardos growth ten times over.

I'm talking about Anthony DeFrancesco or DeFran or Tony San Francisco or maybe even my mentor? I worked with DeFran earlier this week on a commercial. It had been some time since we last worked together and my oh my was I stunned to see what appeared on his face. DeFran always rocks the facial hair, but this time it was different. It was like looking at him for the first time through new eyes. As if I had just been cured of blindness, I noticed for the first time what really matters...not the eyes, but the beard. It was glorious; God-like.

DeFran had been growing his beard since the Phillies home-opener this year. If the Phillies had won the World Series, I would have petitioned that he get a championship ring for his efforts. At the very least maybe they'll sell a jersey with his name on the back. Unfortunately, he'll be shaving now that the season is over. But 2010 is a brand new season for both the Phillies and Anthony DeFrancesco.

It won't be all gone however. Sources tell me he'll be shaving into a mustache for a Mustache Party this Monday. DeFran was kind enough to lend a photo for the blog. This was his Halloween costume this year. Cheers to DeFran!

No comments: